Friday, May 22, 2009

Happy Friday: Memorial Day Reflection


The story of America's quest for freedom is inscribed on her history in the blood of her patriots. -Randy Vader




Happy Friday dolls! Hope everyone is excited for the unofficial start of summer this lovely 3-day weekend! Any fun plans?

Sara and I wanted to pay a special tribute to the men and women who have given their lives for this country, who we honor on Monday. I come from a military family, and luckily, I have never had to endure the pain of losing a loved one in war. We cannot express our gratitude for their sacrifice.

Two years ago, while Sara and I were in our evening, three hour public relations course, I was flipping through an issue of Newsweek I grabbed from the family I worked for. The entire issue was dedicated to the fallen, and included last letters that every solider writes, just in case. Well, as Sara can tell you, I was a blubbering fool in the back of the room, crying just reading these, yet at the same time, gave me such hope that we have such strong men and women doing what they do. Here is where the issue is online

So, hopefully in between the bbqs, beer, and baseball games that we all love about Memorial Day weekend, we can take a moment to pause, and honor those who this holiday is for.

We'll be back on tuesday!

9 comments:

  1. What a great post! While it is the beginning of summer this is a great reminder that we have alot to be thankful for.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to commemorate the reason we have this long weekend in the first place! You're the first I've seen yet. It's easy to sometimes forget, but we have a lot to be grateful for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. Thanks for reminding us what we should really be thankful and what Memorial Day is all about!

    liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a weekend to remember those who serve. My husband is military and i thank my lucky stars everyday he hasn't been injured too bad in this war. Too us wives...We must be strong and support them in every way. Thanks for posting about something so dear to my heart.
    ~Have a lovely weekend~

    {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post....it is all too easy to take forgranted the true meaning of the special day

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone else - great post! I'm so glad you reminded your readers of the true reason we celebrate this weekend! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone has said it perfectly! Have a great weekend!! Awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I hope you had a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

...thanks for the comments sweetness!